QinetiQ invite local schools to Farnborough HQ
24 April 2013 - Students from a number of local schools enjoyed a day at QinetiQ’s Headquarters in Farnborough last week, helping to inspire the next generation of engineers, scientists and technologists.
QinetiQ’s dedicated ‘Schools Day’, now in its second year, supports local schools in encouraging young students to select STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics) subjects, and future careers in these areas, by involving them in exciting air, aerospace and engineering projects at its HQ in Cody Technology Park.
The pupils, aged 11-16, enjoyed a range of unique activities at three of QinetiQ’s divisions; Space, Air and Optasense*. Their experiences included:
Space: a demonstration on what happens in a vacuum, the chance to see and touch real kit from a space station, as well as take part in an interactive computer mission to understand more about communication activities between Earth and Space.
Air: a visit to the Training and Simulation facilities to experience flying aircraft in the latest state-of-the-art simulators.
OptaSense: taking part in an interactive demonstration to learn about an innovative technology that turns ordinary optical fibre into thousands of virtual microphones along its length.
Leo Quinn, Chief Executive at QinetiQ, said: “It is vital to inspire the next generation into STEM related careers and we hope that by holding events like this we can show young people how exciting working in these areas, and at companies like QinetiQ, can be. At QinetiQ we pride ourselves on a team of people who really know how, and whose expertise can drive forward technology in the UK. Recognised as a company with world leading engineers and scientists, we hope we can help to inspire the next generation of people who know how.”
QinetiQ employs more than 10,000 people worldwide, with experts in defence, aerospace, scientists and engineers solving some of the world’s most important problems. QinetiQ has an established apprenticeship scheme, with many going on to become senior technical experts, leading or advising on ground-breaking projects in air, land and maritime. QinetiQ is currently recruiting a further 75 trainees within the next 12 months, adding to the 109 already in place on the four-year programme.
For more information about QinetiQ and the apprentice scheme visit www.qinetiq.com/careers
Notes for Editors:
- *OptaSense is a platform technology that turns ordinary optical fibre into thousands of virtual microphones along its length enabling even the smallest of interference activity to be detected on pipelines which would otherwise be isolated in terms of security coverage. OptaSense is the World leader in distributed fibre sensing and is operating in 40 countries globally across multiple industries including Oil & Gas, Defence & Security, Transport and Utilities. OptaSense technology is currently in use to monitor 10,000kms of assets, principally providing leak detection and third party intrusion detection for oil and gas pipelines.
- A FTSE250 company, QinetiQ uses its domain knowledge to provide technical support and know-how to customers in the global aerospace, defence and security markets. QinetiQ's unique position enables it to be a trusted partner to government organisations, predominantly in the UK and the US, including defence departments, intelligence services and security agencies.
- Follow us on twitter @QinetiQ
- Visit our blog at www.QinetiQ-blogs.com/QinetiQ
- Visit QinetiQ, stand number S2-550, at DSEi at ExCeL in London between 10th – 13th September 2013. The world’s leading defence and security event. For more information visit www.dsei.qinetiq.com
For further information, please contact
QinetiQ Press Office on Tel: +44 (0) 1252 39 3500