Business Secretary Vince Cable visited QinetiQ in Farnborough on Thursday 8 March to see the latest technologies being developed by the company.
The Business Secretary was given a guided tour by Leo Quinn, QinetiQ Chief Executive Officer (CEO), and was briefed on latest technologies including:
- Training and Simulation – modifying the latest computer technology to provide both military and commercial customers a cost effective way of preparing and training employees for all scenarios
- Energy from Waste – A new green technology that is designed to use household or industrial waste and turn it into either heat or energy
- Optasense – new technology utilising fibre optics to monitor industrial infrastructure, such as oil and gas pipelines or railway signalling cables, and alert security to tell them who or what is near the infrastructure
- Cyber – the latest technology which allows companies to monitor and defend against possible cyber attacks
- 5m Wind Tunnel – one of only three in the West, the Tunnel is used to test models of new aircraft and operated by QinetiQ for all customers to use
Vince Cable said: “Technology and R&D are vital if we are to drive sustainable growth in our economy. Companies such as QinetiQ provide world class products with a broad range of applications, and the Government is doing everything it can to ensure this country continues to lead the way for innovative R&D.”
“We are improving the incentives for companies to innovate so that they will continue to create life changing products to drive future innovation and growth.”
Leo Quinn, QinetiQ CEO said, Leo said “This was a great opportunity to show the Secretary of State the work which we are currently doing. It is exciting times for QinetiQ as we move to the next phase of our development. Our people make it possible for us to develop world class ideas and we are starting to become a valued and competitive force in the marketplace.”
Notes for Editors:
- A FTSE250 company, QinetiQ uses its domain knowledge to provide technical support and know-how to customers in the global aerospace, defence and security markets. QinetiQ's unique position enables it to be a trusted partner to government organisations, predominantly in the UK and the US, including defence departments, intelligence services and security agencies.
- Follow us on Twitter @QinetiQ
For further information, please contact
QinetiQ Press Office on Tel: +44 (0) 1252 39 3500