Industry Powerboat Challenge
Last week QinetiQ’s Ocean Basin facility in Haslar near Gosport, Hampshire, hosted the second annual Industry Powerboat Challenge.
This event brought together 16 teams from the maritime industry to test their marine design, integration and project planning skills and ingenuity against each other. Competitors included; BAE Surface Fleet Navy ships; BAE Subs; Babcock; D Ships; In service subs; SSG; Converteam UK; MES IPT; Lloyds; UCL; QinetiQ Haslar; BMT & BAE mission systems.
Their mission was to design and build a radio controlled model powerboat which was then raced around a course in the Ocean Basin.
Prizes were awarded to the fastest three boats, which were:
- 1. BMT with ‘Flipper 2’,
- 2. BAE Mission Systems with ‘BAE Maritime Mischief’ and
- 3. QinetiQ Haslar with ‘Foiled Again’.
In addition there was a “Judges Favourite” prize awarded to the team who demonstrated the greatest degree of innovation; the best engineered design and the most attractive livery.
The exciting and highly competitive day, was a great opportunity for the maritime community to come together, and adjudged by those who took part as a great success.
Sarah Kenny, Managing Director of QinetiQ Maritime said
“As well as being a fantastic networking event, an event such as the Powerboat Challenge helps to bring focus to the great career opportunities available in the naval and maritime industries, as well as creating a unique environment to demonstrate and develop technical skills and relationship networks."
“We also host a Schools Powerboat event each year where local schools take part in designing and racing model powerboats and this has been incredibly successful in engaging young people with Maritime Engineering.”
“We are all looking forward to next year’s event, with hopefully even more teams taking part.”
Notes for Editors:
- Further digital images are available from QinetiQ Press Office on the number below.
- A FTSE250 company, QinetiQ uses its domain knowledge to provide technical support and know-how to customers in the global aerospace, defence and security markets. QinetiQ's unique position enables it to be a trusted partner to government organisations, predominantly in the UK and the US, including defence departments, intelligence services and security agencies.
- Follow us on twitter @QinetiQ
For further information, please contact
QinetiQ Press Office on Tel: +44 (0) 1252 39 3500