OptaSense, a QinetiQ company, has announced the signing of a Global Commercialisation and Framework Agreement with Shell. The agreement sets out the basis on which Shell businesses can contract with OptaSense directly to use its unique Distributed Acoustic Sensing (DAS) system. The initial service to be provided under the agreement is a commercial hydraulic fracture monitoring service.
The OptaSense Distributed Acoustic Sensing system is providing a new window on in-well treatments. The hydraulic fracture monitoring service provides real-time monitoring of fracture fluid injection locations and provides an estimate of the volume of water and proppant uptake at these locations. With real-time monitoring of the operation at the treatment zone, operators are able to optimise the hydraulic fracturing process in a safe, reliable and repeatable way.
Commercial services have now commenced in the United States and Canada with hydraulic fracture monitoring underway in tight sands and shale gas wells. These services are expected to be extended into new territories in the near future.
The hydraulic fracture monitoring services were developed in collaboration with Shell as part of the global research and development agreement announced in 2010.
OptaSense Managing Director, Magnus McEwen-King said,
“This Global Commercialisation Framework Agreement allows us to work with Shell around the world and is a positive step forward for our business as we look to expand both our international reach and commercial service offerings. It will also mean that we can continue to invest in jobs, having already created 100 new jobs in the last 12 months.”
Images are available upon request.
Notes for Editors:
- Conventional monitoring technologies are unable to survive the fracturing process whereas OptaSense is a breakthrough technology that has been developed in collaboration with Shell and can monitor the fracturing process by listening to a fibre optic cable attached to the well itself.
- OptaSense provides wells with their own nervous system enabling operators to react to events as and when they occur.
- OptaSense can monitor that the propant fluid that is injected into the borehole gets to the right place, and if not, modify the process straight away.
- OptaSense is the World leader in distributed fibre sensing and operating in 37 countries globally with operations across multiple industries including Oil & Gas, Defence & Security, Transport and Utilities. It is managed as an autonomous subsidiary of the QinetiQ Group.
- A FTSE250 company, QinetiQ uses its domain knowledge to provide technical support and know-how to customers in the global aerospace, defence and security markets. QinetiQ's unique position enables it to be a trusted partner to government organisations, predominantly in the UK and the US, including defence departments, intelligence services and security agencies.
- Follow us on twitter @QinetiQ
For further information, please contact
QinetiQ Press Office on Tel: +44 (0) 1252 39 3500