Contract Signed With Avencom On Prime Minister Trade Mission to Kazakhstan
01 July 2013: OptaSense, a QinetiQ company, has signed a partnership agreement with Avencom, leading technology supplier to Kazakhstan Oil and Gas companies, to provide its world leading Distributed Acoustic Sensing services. The partnership was signed during the UK Government’s trade mission, led by the Prime Minister, accompanied by leading British oil and gas businesses.
Over the last four years OptaSense has worked with Avencom to implement pipeline security monitoring systems on over 1000km of pipeline in Kazakhstan. The new partnership will bring OptaSense’s new Four-Mode leak detection system to potential customers in the region. Having already successfully worked with regional businesses such as KTO, KPO and KCP OptaSense already has a proven track record in the region preventing incidents along pipelines.
Magnus McEwen-King, OptaSense MD said, “We are pleased to be able to extend and formalize our on-going relationship with Avencom. As a British company partnerships like this are vital for us and having the support of the Government is important to our future growth. Our unique technology helps companies reduce operating costs and minimize environmental issues. Avencom have been able to develop and train highly skilled technical operators who can install, operate and maintain our fibre sensing technology.”
Trade and Investment Minister Lord Green said, "Kazakhstan is emerging as the dominant economy in central Asia and offers many opportunities for British businesses small and large across a wide variety of sectors. This first ever visit by a UK Prime Minister demonstrates our commitment to strengthen the trade and investment links between our two countries. I am delighted that OptaSense has secured new business in Kazakhstan and I wish them every success."
OptaSense deployed Distributed Acoustic Sensing, converts standard fibre optic cable into thousands of virtual microphones along its length – enabling operators to effectively “listen” for third party intrusion (pipelines) and detect or even prevent leaks in pipelines before they occur. The new Four-Mode leak detection software allows customers to monitor for – negative pressure wave monitoring for rupture events; acoustic signature recognition of high pressure leaks; fast Distributed Temperature Gradient Sensing (DTGS); and ground heave strain monitoring – into a single platform, providing a comprehensive leak detection system.
For further information
Notes for Editors
- OptaSense is a platform technology which has applications in a number of markets, including infrastructure security where the technology is already in use to monitor 10,000kms of assets, principally providing leak detection and third party intrusion detection for oil and gas pipelines.
- OptaSense is the World leader in distributed fibre sensing and operating in 40 countries globally with operations across multiple industries including Oil & Gas, Defence & Security, Transport and Utilities. It is managed as an autonomous subsidiary of the QinetiQ Group.
- A FTSE250 company, QinetiQ uses its domain knowledge to provide technical support and know-how to customers in the global aerospace, defence and security markets. QinetiQ's unique position enables it to be a trusted partner to government organisations, predominantly in the UK and the US, including defence departments, intelligence services and security agencies.
- Follow QinetiQ on twitter @QinetiQ
- Visit our blog at www.QinetiQ-blogs.com/QinetiQ