13 May 2013 - QinetiQ’s new on-board email management tool, PRIME, has been successfully tested by The UK Royal Navy Command as part of a project focused on improving the Royal Navy’s email management capabilities and bandwidth.
The Royal Navy’s vessel to shore, shore to vessel bandwidth, has historically had limited capacity and this has been put under further pressure in recent years with the rapid growth in volumes of information exchange. QinetiQ has subsequently developed an on-board email management tool to maximise network availability and prioritise email communications received.
PRIME helps maximise Maritime Wide Area Network availability for deployed ships and submarines by enabling users to determine what email they access over the network prior to downloading it, ensuring the available bandwidth is used more efficiently. PRIME was successfully trialled on HMS Illustrious, the UK’s high readiness helicopter and commando carrier;
“It was a very successful trial. We went from initial concept to software integration and successful on-board testing all within the defined time-scales. This is the type of technology we need and being able to test and demonstrate its capabilities in live operations is key,” observed Lt Cdr James Holgate.
“We are very pleased that the trial was a success. The information management software that Royal Navy Command tested is one of a number of bespoke software tools that we have developed in support of our extensive range of Command Information Systems Services that we deliver to the global defence and emergency services market,” said Stuart Hider, Head of Maritime Systems, QinetiQ.
Notes for Editors:
- QinetiQ Maritime Systems has over 25 years’ experience of delivering state-of-the-art services to the global defence, security and emergency service organisations around the world. QinetiQ has established an unrivalled knowledge and track record in the field of command and control systems. Our services support the entire lifecycle of a command information system from concept development and design, through system evaluation and assessment, system integration to operational performance. The services are delivered by experienced systems engineers and scientists supported by an extensive range of specialised equipment and bespoke software.
- A FTSE250 company, QinetiQ uses its domain knowledge to provide technical support and know-how to customers in the global aerospace, defence and security markets. QinetiQ's unique position enables it to be a trusted partner to government organisations, predominantly in the UK and the US, including defence departments, intelligence services and security agencies.
- Follow us on twitter @QinetiQ
- Visit our blog at www.QinetiQ-blogs.com/QinetiQ
- Visit QinetiQ, stand number S2-550, at DSEi at ExCeL in London between 10th – 13th September 2013. The world’s leading defence and security event. For more information visit www.dsei.qinetiq.com
For further information, please contact
QinetiQ Press Office on Tel: +44 (0) 1252 39 3500