The potential effects that wind farms can have on radar and aviation services are well known. These issues have led to a huge backlog in planning applications, and can result in developers and stakeholders losing time and money on costly planning inquiries.
The QinetiQ pre-planning assessment (PPA) service has been designed to provide a quick and effective method of gaining valuable insight into the potential effects that a proposed wind farm may have on radar and aviation services in a given area. This service helps to understand the issues before or after planning applications are made, bringing greater clarity regarding whether it is viable to proceed with a given application, thus, saving time and money.
Issues that can be identified are:
- All radars that are in radar line of sight of the proposed turbines (including all Military, Civil Airfield, NATS en-route, weather and marine navigation radars, i.e. VTS)
- Aerodromes that are within the distances specified by the CAA document CAP 764 (including Civil safeguarded, licensed and unlicensed, and military airfields)
- Obstacle limitation surfaces
- Navigation Aids (including military and civil)
- Impact on civil and military air traffic control and its associated airspace and procedures
- Identification of other wind farms within 30km (taken from online RenewableUK and RESTATS databases)
- The output comes in the form of an interactive Google Earth file, which makes the data easy to assess, and interpret. Additionally, a short written report can also be produced summarising the results.
Examples of the outputs, along with a “how to” guide on using the interactive Google Earth file, can be downloaded below. For a single wind farm site, all work will be delivered via email within five working days. There is also a priority option to have the work returned within two working days.
Kiton Moor Pre-Planning Assessment output example
Using the QinetiQ PPA Google Earth Files
Pre Planning Assessment example
Once the issues have been identified, further work can be undertaken, if required, to assess the impact of these issues, with a view to taking individual projects forward. Examples of other services we provide are:
- Full primary and secondary radar impact assessments (including propagation analysis, probability of detection, wind farm clutter prediction, air traffic control simulations, false plot analysis, range/bearing errors)
- Operational aviation assessments (independent air traffic control advice)
- Telecommunications assessment (including fixed microwave links, television transmissions, VHF/UHF systems)
- Marine impact assessments
Click here to go to the Pre planning assessment form