Air Engineering Services
QinetiQ has teams of experts in aerospace, defence, security and related markets who come together to solve some of the world’s toughest air engineering problems.
Our customers face challenges that define the modern world. Aircraft manufacturers demand better aerodynamics, lower weight, greater efficiency and quieter aircraft to combat high fuel prices and reduce environmental impact.
Drawing on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property (IP), we provide solutions, support and advice in areas that include:
- analysis and optimisation of metallic and composite structures
- aerodynamics and flight physics
- non-destructive evaluation
- detailed design and mechanical engineering
- smart materials and manufacturing processes
- corrosion and forensics
- failure analysis of polymers and composites
- in-flight testing
- operation of an extensive mixed aircraft fleet (including unmanned platforms) to support test, evaluation and service provision
- Maintenance Approved Organisation Scheme (MAOS) aircraft maintenance and repair
- CAT3 structural repairs
- trial installations for all systems and components.
Together with customers, we carry out test and evaluation in all of these areas at our world-renowned facilities to provide analysis against the full spectrum of design and test. We participate in government-funded aerospace technology development programmes to help our customers stretch their research budgets further.
We help aircraft manufacturers to innovate manufacturing processes through; for example, carrying out research into advanced composite NDT (non-destructive testing) techniques to shorten timescales and enable more accurate failure capture for the Tier 1 supply base.