The Empire Test Pilots’ School (ETPS) shapes talented pilots, engineers, and aircrew into flight test professionals who deliver powerful strategic advantage and real commercial value.
Modern flight test programmes are complex and expensive endeavours, requiring a high level of knowledge, skill and hard work in order to get the maximum capability for defence from their air systems. Realising this potential while ensuring our aircraft remain safe to operate requires trained specialists with expertise in a broad range of theoretical, practical and analytical disciplines. Imparting these skills to our trainees is what we do here at ETPS.
First in flight test
As the world’s first test pilot school, ETPS leads the field in flight test training for both military and civilian customers. Over our 75-year history we have trained over 1500 students from 32 countries. They’ve brought into service many new, sometimes iconic, aircraft and mission systems, as well as extensively modifying those already in use, often with the most cutting-edge experimental technology and innovations of the day. This, in turn, has consistently increased the operational effectiveness of these aircraft for both the UK and our overseas partners. Some of our graduates have even been to the moon.
A school for the future
But while we’re proud of our aviation heritage, ETPS is absolutely focussed on the future and you can join us at a time when we are revitalising our school with new, state of the art, systems-rich aircraft, as well as a re-vamped, modernised course delivered in a truly 21st century learning environment. As a result, we deliver the very best, relevant, test and evaluation training to enable our graduates to meet the complex demands of modern developmental flight test programmes.
- Modular, cost and time effective courses
- Delivered by expert tutors at our state-of-the-art training facilities, our enhanced modular courses cover experimental, development and systems flight test. We can design bespoke programmes to meet specific requirements, run refresher courses in key subjects, provide tailored training for specialist tasks, or conduct conversions to upgrade existing qualifications (for example Cat 2 to Cat 1).
- Unique learning management system
- Our new, bespoke digital learning management system (LMS) is the only one of its kind among leading flight test schools. It provides advanced, specialist tools for interactive digital and face-to-face teaching, and supports collaborative learning. Accessible from anywhere in the world on almost any conceivable system, the LMS enables teaching at a time and place convenient to our students.
- State-of-the-art fixed wing and rotary aircraft
- Our aircraft have all been modified to create ‘flying classrooms’ which meet both military and civil requirements. Their innovative glass cockpits have built-in flight test instrumentation suites to provide live flight data and enable realistic training scenarios. These enable training in specialist test techniques, such as air-to-ground radar testing, and the replication of entire sorties in the classroom for debrief and further study.
To learn more about how ETPS can shape your flight test professionals, please contact us.