The theme of World Environment Day this year was ‘Beating Plastic Pollution’. The impacts of plastic pollution are often talked about in the media, especially the serious threat it causes to wildlife. Did you know that plastic works its way up the food chain and it is estimated that one in three fish caught for human consumption contain plastic?
These are just some of the great activities from across QinetiQ locations:
- Beach cleans were completed by teams at MOD Shoeburyness, Haslar Marine Technology Park and MOD Aberporth – with one team filling a whole skip!
- Teams got involved with litter picks at Portsdown Technology Park, Hurn, MOD Portland Bill and Winfrith
- We encouraged people to use reusable or china cups in Malvern and Farnborough. We actually created coffee cup tower displays out of (used) non-recyclable cups to raise awareness
- Fort Halstead, MOD Hebrides, MOD Boscombe Down, Rosneath, Rosyth and MOD West Freugh all had plastic cup clamp downs at their water fountains
- Generally supporting the environment with wildflower planting at Funtington and having a hedgehog awareness and champion day at Bedford!
These changes, large or small, can make a notable difference.
Well done to everyone involved.