Our diversity and inclusion program 'Better Together' aims to create an environment where everyone is valued and provided with equal opportunity to contribute and succeed.
In striving to create inclusivity, we are focused on implementing initiatives that will benefit people from underrepresented demographics in our workforce and in the community including:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples;
- Flexibility & Caring;
- Culture & Faith;
- Disability & Accessibility (including mental health);
- LGBTIQ+; and
- Family & Domestic Violence.
Each priority area aims to improve workforce participation and inclusion, and enable change beyond our workplace. We have employee representative groups across many of the above areas, who support our organisation to implement initiatives and activities which further our diversity and inclusion agenda.
Commitment to Reconciliation
At QinetiQ, we’re committed to reconciliation. We believe reconciliation is best facilitated through education, action and respect. QinetiQ formally commenced its reconciliation journey in 2019 with the launch of its first Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP), which was endorsed by Reconciliation Australia. This commitment to reconciliation is reaffirmed in 2021 with our second RAP which focuses on innovation, currently pending endorsement by Reconciliation Australia.
Our RAP helps enhance and inform our understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures while functioning as a framework to develop deeper engagement with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities. Our first RAP enabled us to define our vision for reconciliation.
We remain committed to creating opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, including increasing workforce participation and procurement through enterprises who employ and/or are majority-owned by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. We encourage and welcome applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples to either join our team or our supplier panels.
Read more about our Commitment to Reconciliation.
At QinetiQ, we believe workplace gender equality is achieved when people are able to access and enjoy the same rewards, resources and opportunities regardless of gender.
Our Gender Diversity Strategy is focused on the following key areas:
- Creating a gender balanced workforce;
- Increasing the overall representation of women in the QinetiQ workforce, including in STEM roles;
- Achieving a balance of leadership positions of 40% male, 40% female and 20% any gender; and
- Increasing the representation of males in non-traditional functional roles.
- Closing the gender pay gap;
- Mainstreaming flexible work and support for carers;
- Creating gender equity in procurement; and
- Driving change beyond our workplace.
As a Defence Industry employer, we’re grateful for our veterans, and are proud to show our support to the people who have served our nation.
We have fantastic career opportunities for those within the veteran community to utilise their industry skills, knowledge and experiences within the Defence Industry. At QinetiQ, you’ll work with a team that’s passionate about supporting our forces while remaining connected and engaged within the Australian Defence Community.
We are committed to supporting those who have served and their families through various initiatives which include:
- Employment opportunities and career pathways support;
- Support for reservists through our Defence Reservists Leave Policy;
- Volunteering leave to enable our employees to support the veteran community;
- Initiatives to support the raising of funds to support Veteran charities;
- Partnerships with several Veteran charities and employment organisations including Legacy and SoldierOn; and
- A Veterans employee representative group who help drive internal initiatives to support veterans and the veteran community.
We encourage and welcome applications from individuals within the veteran community.
Driving Change Beyond our Workplace
We are committed to creating improved outcomes for underrepresented groups in our workforce and in our community, through direct community and industry involvement.
QinetiQ and our people support a number of D&I initiatives and activities in our community annually, some of which include:
- STEM events in schools, universities and in Indigenous communities;
- D&I events, initiatives and programs which support our D&I priority areas;
- Learning activities including: cross industry mentoring programs, veteran employment pathways events, dedicated D&I apprenticeship and traineeship opportunities;
- Industry conferences, round tables and events, inviting guest speakers to share their knowledge and experience to further D&I outcomes in our industry and community; and
- Volunteering leave so our employees can support D&I related community and industry activities.
Recognition and Awards
We are proud to be recognised for our Diversity & Inclusion Strategy through a number of accreditations and awards including:
- Endorsement of our Reconciliation Action Plan by Reconciliation Australia;
- Workplace Gender Equality Agency Employer of Choice for Gender Equality citation for 2018/19 and 2019/20 and 2021;
- Winner of Aviation Aerospace Awards for ‘Outstanding Strategy for Diversity’ 2020;
- Academy of Science, STEM Decadal Plan Champion 2020 and 2021;
- Soldier On Pledge Partner 2020 and 2021;
- Excellence Award Winner in the ‘Employer of Choice’ category at the Australian HR Awards in 2021;
- Excellence Award Winner for Best Workplace Flexibility Program at the Australian HR Awards in 2020;
- Engineers Australia ‘Highly Commended Award for the Most Ambitious Company in Gender Diversity’ on 2019;
- Our Managing Director Greg Barsby is named as a WGEA Pay Equity Ambassador;
- Finalist in the 2018 and 2020 Australian HR Awards ‘Best Diversity and Inclusion Program’ category; and
- Defence Reservists Supportive Employer and Proud Supporter of Veteran Employment.