Analyst Research Finds Data Classification Now Ranks In Top Three Security Controls
QinetiQ’s Data security company Boldon James, a leading provider of data classification and secure messaging solutions, has today released findings from a survey carried out by independent IT Analyst firm Bloor Research entitled ‘Practices For Enhancing Data Security’. The report, which covers a broad range of data security topics, is based on a survey of 200 organisations in a range of industries in the UK and the US, all of whom have more than 1,000 employees. Senior IT Security executives answered an in-depth questionnaire regarding data security in their organisations.
Farnborough, 10 March, 2015 – QinetiQ’s Data security company Boldon James, a leading provider of data classification and secure messaging solutions, has today released findings from a survey carried out by independent IT Analyst firm Bloor Research entitled ‘Practices For Enhancing Data Security’. The report, which covers a broad range of data security topics, is based on a survey of 200 organisations in a range of industries in the UK and the US, all of whom have more than 1,000 employees. Senior IT Security executives answered an in-depth questionnaire regarding data security in their organisations.
The survey found that more than half (54%) of organisations identified data security as a serious or critical concern and many report that their concerns are increasing. Findings also indicate that data classification is one of the critical tools for securing data, ranking in the top three most important security controls for organisations across a variety of industries. The importance of data classification as a key part of a layered security approach is further underlined by the fact that 52% of organisations surveyed already use some form of data classification tools, with a bias towards US companies.
Principal Analyst at Bloor Research, Fran Howarth said: “Effective information governance is essential for data security and needs to be implemented across the entire lifecycle of information. Data classification policies and tools allow all data to be classified according to its sensitivity and criticality to the organisation. Such policies and tools need to be extended to all systems and devices, including mobile devices, the use of which is growing rapidly.”
Fran Howarth added: “Although malicious data breaches may be of greater concern to respondents, organisations should be aware that insider threats – whether malicious or accidental – can be the most damaging since those internal to the organisation have access to the most sensitive information, particularly when they have high levels of privileged access.”
Today’s threat landscape is increasingly complex and sophisticated and the number of security incidents that organisations face will only grow. In order for organisations to safeguard themselves from potential brand and reputational damage and fines, they need to implement effective information governance strategies, incorporating data classification policies and tools to protect information throughout its lifecycle and ensure they are enforced.
To view the ‘Practices for enhancing data security’ report in full, please visit www.boldonjames.com/registration/bloor-research-report/
About Boldon James
- For 30 years, Boldon James has been a leader in data classification and secure messaging solutions, helping organisations of all sizes manage sensitive information securely and in compliance with legislation and standards, in some of the most demanding messaging environments in the world.
- Our Classifier product range extends the capabilities of Microsoft products and other solutions to allow users to apply relevant visual & metadata labels to messages and documents in order to enforce information assurance policies, raise user awareness of security and orchestrate multiple security technologies, such as DLP and Rights Management.
- Our customers range from corporates, including global Pharmaceutical, Manufacturing, Financial and Professional Services businesses, to Government, Defence & Intelligence organisations. We are an accredited Microsoft Global Go-To-Market and Gold Applications Development Partner, a Symantec Technology Partner and McAfee Sales Teaming Partner. Boldon James is a wholly-owned subsidiary of QinetiQ plc, a FTSE 250 company, with offices in the UK, US, Australia and Europe and channel partners worldwide. www.boldonjames.com
Kim Smith/Jenny Davis
éclat Marketing for Boldon James
T: +44 1276 486000
- A FTSE250 company, QinetiQ uses its world class knowledge, research and innovation to provide high-end technical expertise and advice, to customers in the global aerospace, defence and security markets. QinetiQ's unique position enables it to be a trusted partner to government organisations, predominantly in the UK and the US, including defence departments as well as other international customers in targeted sectors.
- Follow us on twitter @QinetiQ
- Visit our blog at www.QinetiQ/news-and-events.com
For further information, please contact
QinetiQ Press Office on Tel: +44 (0) 1252 39 3500