We are dedicated to solving some of the world's most challenging problems. The ingenuity of our 6,000 employees around the world is core to our success, which is why we work hard to develop our exceptional people.
As the defence industry in Australia grows, it is an exciting time to join QinetiQ. What the company looks like today will differ greatly to what it will look like in five years' time.
Recognition and acknowledgements
Our people's depth of expertise and passion for defence makes the critical difference for our customers.
We encourage employees to think and do things differently, to always look for enterprising, agile ways to create real benefit and added value. Collaborating with and learning from our world-renowned experts makes QinetiQ a very rewarding place to work.
We understand that people want different things from a career which is why we have created a flexible culture that offers role variety, a healthy work-life balance and scope to innovate and try new things.
By investing in our people and promoting from within the company, we support employees in developing their careers. Professional development includes international work opportunities, mentoring, world-class training and individual professional development allocations. Each year our employees work with their managers and technical leaders to plan tailored development activities that help support their career goals.
Our culture is what makes QinetiQ a great place to work. We support our people to challenge themselves, realise their full potential and deliver outstanding performance for customers. Differences are celebrated and we incorporate diversity and inclusion into everything we do.
We work closely with the local communities where we operate, particularly within defence. We give back to service members and their families through corporate contributions, employee volunteer efforts and fundraising activities.
Even though we are part of a global company, our offices have a very local feel and we organise regular social and charity events.
Diversity & Inclusion
Our diversity and inclusion program 'Better Together' aims to create an environment where everyone is valued and provided with equal opportunity to contribute and succeed.
Our two priorities are:
- Create an Inclusive Culture
- Gender Balance
In creating an Inclusive culture we are focused on the areas of inclusion relating to:
- Culture & Faith
- Flexibility & Caring
- Disability & Accessibility
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples
- Family & Domestic Violence
- Mental Health
Our Gender Balance focus is prioritised on:
- Increasing the overall representation of women, women in STEM and women in leadership
- Increasing the representation of males in functional and non-traditional roles
- Closing the gender pay gap
- Mainstreaming flexible work
To help us achieve these objectives we have set the following targets to be reached by 2024:
- Our leadership will comprise of 40 per cent women and 40 per cent men. The remaining 20 per cent can be any gender identity
- Our STEM workforce will comprise of a minimum of 25 per cent women
- Our overall workforce will have 30% female representation
- Male representation in function/non-traditional roles will be 40%
- Our workplace inclusion rating will improve based on internal benchmarking
- We will halve our Gender Pay gap
Some of the actions we are currently undertaking as part of our diversity and inclusion program include:
- Executing our Diversity & Inclusion Strategy and Gender Balance Strategy
- Maintaining our Workplace Gender Equality Agency Employer of Choice Citation through leading D&I and Gender Equality practices
- Annual gender pay gap analysis using the Workplace Gender Equality Agency’s (WGEA) gender pay gap calculator
- Executing our Reconciliation Action Plan endorsed by Reconciliation Australia
- Implementing a progressive new paid parental leave policy offering up to 18 weeks paid parental leave for primary care givers, with no minimum tenure required, and superannuation top up payments made on unpaid primary caregiver parental leave
- Normalising flexible work through best practice flexible work policies and supporting frameworks and training
- Offering a range of additional flexible benefits including: Cultural and Religious Day of Significance Leave, Salary Continuance, Leave Purchase, Study Leave, Loyalty Leave, Volunteer Leave, Family & Domestic Violence Leave and Community Service Leave
- Investing in education and training for our people and leaders on diversity and inclusion
- Annual diversity and inclusion employee survey
- Implementing a calendar of events and initiatives led by our Diversity and Inclusion Committee
Each year we report our progress against our targets to all of our employees, the leadership team and the board of directors. In the 2019/20 financial year our reported progress was:
- Women make up 20% per cent of our total workforce
- Women make up 44% of Executive Leadership Team roles
- Women make up 20% of all leadership roles
- The gender pay gap remains at 9%
- Women in STEM represent 14.7% of our total workforce
- Employee sentiment and engagement in D&I remains high and improvement was seen in the majority of metrics in our annual D&I employee survey
We are proud to be recognised for our Diversity and Inclusion strategy and progress through a number of accreditations and awards including:
- Endorsement of our Reconciliation Action Plan by Reconciliation Australia
- Workplace Gender Equality Agency Employer of Choice for Gender Equality citation for 2018/19 and 2019/20 and 2021
- Engineers Australia ‘Highly Commended Award for the Most Ambitious Company in Gender Diversity’
- Excellence Award Winner for Best Workplace Flexibility Program at the Australian HR Awards in 2020
- Winner of Aviation Aerospace Awards for ‘Outstanding Strategy for Diversity’
- Endorsement as STEM Decadal Plan Champion
- Our Managing Director Greg Barsby was named as a finalist for the Aviation Aerospace Awards for ‘Outstanding Male Influencer for Diversity & Inclusion’
- Our Managing Director Greg Barsby was named as a WGEA Pay Equity Ambassador
- Finalist in the 2018 and 2020 Australian HR Awards ‘Best Diversity and Inclusion program’ category