- What are you most proud of in your career?
Graduating from ETPS as a test pilot.
- What are your words of advice to any aspirational pilot?
It requires commitment, but it is eminently achievable and is very rewarding.
- How long did it take to become a qualified pilot?
3 years (military training).
- What skills and qualities are important in becoming a pilot?
It is a blend of mental and physical demands, attention to detail, resilience and above all integrity.
- What qualifications did you need to become a pilot?
Varies depending on the route. The qualifications I needed to become a military pilot were different to becoming a civilian pilot.
- Is there a moment of high pressure/stress you can remember from your time as a pilot? If so, what was it?
There have been quite a few, particularly during my time in the RAF on operations. Fortunately, the training I have been given always kept me well prepared to deal with them.
- Has the industry changed much during your career? If so, have you had to adapt?
The types of aircraft and their systems have advanced but the skills required to complete a flight safely and effectively have remained the same. It is still very much a human endeavour.
- What makes ETPS a special place to learn?
The varied background of staff and students training at a high level in such a fascinating area.
International Pilots' Day - April 26th 2023