QinetiQ Australia and the Defence Science and Technology Group form Strategic Alliance
QinetiQ Australia and the Defence Science and Technology Group (DST Group) have formed a Strategic Alliance that capitalises on the long-standing and deep partnership between both organisations and makes a commitment to collaborative Research and Development (R&D) in areas of strategic importance to the Australian Department of Defence.
The partnership between QinetiQ Australia and DST Group spans two decades, which includes several Aircraft Structural Integrity (ASI) programs undertaken with the DGTA-ADF and six years of QinetiQ Australia operating DST Group’s integrated engineering services facilities at Fishermans Bend in Port Melbourne.
This month the DGTA-ADF awarded QinetiQ Australia a long-term, follow-on and performance-based contract in ASI services encompassing certification, through-life support, stress and fatigue management, airframe life extension, design of repairs and modifications, software development and Non-Destructive Testing.
A major focus of the strategic alliance will be on ASI capability to strengthen the existing partnership between QinetiQ Australia, DST Group and the DGTA-ADF and ensure the continued safe operation, enhanced capability and reduced cost of ownership of Australian Defence Force aircraft.
Other R&D areas, which draw upon existing areas of deep technical expertise at a local and global level in QinetiQ, are traditional and exotic materials, signatures, unmanned aviation systems, weapons, training, cost assurance and integrated soldier systems.
Greg Barsby, QinetiQ Australia Managing Director said: “This Strategic Alliance is significant because, firstly, it cements the tripartite partnership between QinetiQ Australia, DST Group and the DGTA-ADF in ASI, and, secondly, it combines the strengths of QinetiQ’s global business with DST Group’s scientific innovation in several collaborative R&D efforts.”
Dr Alex Zelinsky , DST Group Chief Defence added: “Entering into this strategic alliance builds upon the strong relationship DST Group already has with QinetiQ. Leveraging the synergies between our organisations has the potential to bring real capability enhancements to the ADF in areas that require innovation, deep technical expertise and scientific knowledge.”
Under the Strategic Alliance, QinetiQ Australia and DST Group have also pledged to support the ongoing professional development, retention and career progression of each other’s staff through training activities and employee rotations.
Notes for Editors:
- A FTSE250 company, QinetiQ uses its world class knowledge, research and innovation to provide high-end technical expertise and advice, to customers in the global aerospace, defence and security markets. QinetiQ's unique position enables it to be a trusted partner to government organisations, predominantly in the UK and the US, including defence departments as well as other international customers in targeted sectors.
- As part of the QinetiQ company, QinetiQ Australia has more than 250 specialist staff located across Australia who use their know-how to deliver trusted and impartial advice and services to Australian defence and government organisations across air, land, maritime, government and technology domains.
- Follow us on twitter @QinetiQAU
- The DST Group is part of Australia's Department of Defence. It is the second largest public-funded research and development organisation in Australia and is responsible for applying science and technology to safeguard Australia and its national interests. For more information go to www.dsto.defence.gov.au
- The DGTA-ADF is the Australian Department of Defence’s technical airworthiness authority. It is an integrated agency involving all three military services, including the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF), Australian Army and Royal Australian Navy and civilian personnel. A part of RAAF Headquarters, it was formed on the 2nd February 1998 to manage the technical airworthiness of Defence Aircraft. For more information go to: www.defence.gov.au/DASP/
For further information please contact
QinetiQ Press Office on Tel: +44 (0) 1252 39 3500
Proud to Support the 2021 Victorian Indigenous Engineering Winter School
29 Sep 2021
Redefining wheeled armoured vehicle mobility - Mobility Test Rig (MTR) on display at DSEi
15 Sep 2021
QinetiQ is delighted to be able to support Surrey Satellite Technology Ltd (SSTL) and their Lunar Pathfinder mission
16 Sep 2021
QinetiQ Australia Announces Membership with Supply Nation
09 Sep 2021
At Sea Demonstration/Formidable Shield 21
08 Sep 2021