Our hyperbaric trials unit (HTU) is used to test and evaluate escape systems and components to 150 bar.
The HTU has a unique capability to recreate the actual pressure conditions of escape from a submerged submarine, independent of the performance of the components under test. This capability is essential for the evaluation of submarine escape equipment against any defined test standards.
- SMERAS systems design, integration, testing and assurance
- Optimised and cost-effective advice, support and assurance
- A deep understanding of submarines and associated safety issues
- World-leading expertise delivered by highly qualified professionals
- Ongoing submarine safety research and development
- SMERAS associated expertise in diving
- All supported by an extensive range of tried and tested software, equipment and facilities
- Independent and impartial SMERAS advice
QinetiQ’s SMERAS Support Services have helped submarine fleets around the world, including the UK Royal Navy, and the Italian, Dutch, Norwegian and Canadian navies. As a long-established research, test and evaluation partner for the UK Royal Navy, we conduct leading research into physiological effects in the SMERAS environment. This includes:
- Concept design and development
- Tower escape systems
- Surface abandonment
- DISSUB survival support
- Submersible rescue
- Audit assessment
- Submarine atmosphere control and monitoring
Additionally, we have a rapid response team of Submarine Escape Training Tank (SETT) qualified personnel ready to conduct at-sea trials at any time.