QinetiQ Australia starts fatigue testing on Thales’s Hawkei vehicle
QinetiQ Australia has commenced the second phase of full scale fatigue testing on the Hawkei vehicle at Thales Australia’s manufacturing facility in Bendigo, Victoria.
The eight week test program involves attaching a Hawkei production-level chassis to a 5 x 8m test rig for a series of tests to validate the predicted life of the structure and to demonstrate several improvements made since QinetiQ did the first phase of fatigue tests on the prototype in 2010.
George McGuire, General Manager Land and Maritime of QinetiQ Australia, said: “During the tests, we push the Hawkei to its absolute limits. We artificially recreate the various stresses the Hawkei might be under in the field by placing a combination of loads on the chassis, which are activated by computer-operated hydraulics powered by 100 litres of oil per minute. It is a very significant undertaking that requires a depth of technical expertise and practical implementation experience.”
Peter Goodwin, Director Operations at Thales Australia, said: “Both phases of this project have involved a high degree of teamwork and commitment between Thales and QinetiQ using a mix of personnel, equipment and facilities. QinetiQ is one of many suppliers that have played a significant role in shaping the Hawkei and contributing to its success. These full scale fatigue tests will ensure the Hawkei performs for the Australian Army over a long period of time during different stages of operation throughout its service life.”
The Commonwealth Government of Australia signed a $1.3 billion contract with Thales in October 2015 for delivery of 1,100 vehicles and over 1,000 trailers to the Australian Army. The three and a half year production phase is scheduled to begin from mid-2017, with first deliveries expected towards the end of that year.
For more than 15 years, QinetiQ has provided fatigue and damage tolerance assessment services to various commercial and Government customers in Australia, building on existing test and evaluation expertise found in the wider QinetiQ Group. In addition to Thales’s Hawkei, QinetiQ Australia has conducted military aircraft full scale fatigue tests and full scale component tests for civil aircraft such as the flaps on the 787 Dreamliner.
Notes for Editors:
- A FTSE250 company, QinetiQ uses its world class knowledge, research and innovation to provide high-end technical expertise and advice, to customers in the global aerospace, defence and security markets. QinetiQ's unique position enables it to be a trusted partner to government organisations, predominantly in the UK and the US, including defence departments as well as other international customers in targeted sectors.
- As part of the QinetiQ company, QinetiQ Australia has more than 250 specialist staff located across Australia who use their know-how to deliver trusted and impartial advice and services to Australian defence and government organisations across air, land, maritime, government and technology domains.
- Follow us on twitter @QinetiQAU
- Thales is a global technology leader for the Aerospace, Transport, Defence and Security markets. With 61,000 employees in 56 countries, Thales reported sales of €13 billion in 2014. With over 20,000 engineers and researchers, Thales has a unique capability to design and deploy equipment, systems and services to meet the most complex security requirements. Its unique international footprint allows it to work closely with its customers all over the world.
- Thales in Australia is a trusted partner of the Australian Defence Force and is also present in commercial sectors ranging from air traffic management and ground transport systems to security systems and services. Employing around 3,200 people in over 35 sites across the country, Thales in Australia recorded revenues of AUD$1 billion in 2014.
For further information, please contact
Proud to Support the 2021 Victorian Indigenous Engineering Winter School
29 Sep 2021
Redefining wheeled armoured vehicle mobility - Mobility Test Rig (MTR) on display at DSEi
15 Sep 2021
QinetiQ is delighted to be able to support Surrey Satellite Technology Ltd (SSTL) and their Lunar Pathfinder mission
16 Sep 2021
QinetiQ Australia Announces Membership with Supply Nation
09 Sep 2021
At Sea Demonstration/Formidable Shield 21
08 Sep 2021